NET Bible Web Service (API)
If you want to use the NET Bible text in your web application or service, this is the the easiest way.
The base URL for all GET requests is: http://labs.bible.org/api/?
Passage Parameter / Verse FormatsThe verses being requested are passed with the GET parameter passage= See below for some samples.
- John 3:16 - Single verse
- John 3:16-17 - Range of verses
- John 3:16-17;John 1:1 - Multiple single verses and/or ranges, all separated by semi-colons
- John 3:16-17; 5:8
- votd - You can pass "votd" as the passage to get the Bible.org Verse of the Day (VOTD).
- random - You can pass "random" as the passage to get back a "random" bible verse (If your theology allows for such a thing).
Text Formatting OptionsUse the GET parameter formatting= to specify the type of formatting you would like your text to have (example http://labs.bible.org/api/?passage=Lk%202:1;%204:4&formatting=full)
- formatting=full - this has all paragraph, bold, italics, and note tags
- formatting=para - this returns text with just paragraph and bold tags
- formatting=plain this returns just text, not html or html entities.
- Not setting the formatting var will result in the text being returned with just bold tags
Return Type (XML, Text, JSON)You can specify the type of the returned text with the GET parameter type=
Possible types are:
- JSONP - Append "&callback=myfunction" to the JSON return type, replacing "myfunction" with the name of your callback function.
Use of the NET Bible API Must agree with the NET Bible Copyright
If you use the API and/or come up with code examples, please share to benefit the community. You can email these and we will post them on this site.